Daylight Savings


I don't know about you, but I've been seriously missing that hour of sleep since the time change. So much so that it has affected me most of the week. Last night I even made an attempt to go to bed early, but still managed to wake up very tired and groggy. Is it a ripple effect of some kind that just makes me more sleepy? Or perhaps it is the weather, which has been incredibly nice as of late. All of this makes me wonder why we subject ourselves to daylight savings time in the first place? Why can't we just let time alone?

After a few cups of coffee I decided to investigate why we observe this practice. The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin (during his sojourn as an American delegate in Paris in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project." The idea was simply to take best advantage of the daylight hours. Ben is certainly a fascinating guy, and If I ever had a dinner party where I could invite the five most fascinating people dead or alive, he would certainly be one of them. This idea caught on and eventually was made into a law.

Of course with any change, there is opposition. Frequent complaints consist of the inconvenience of changing many clocks and adjusting to a new sleep schedule. For most people, this is a mere nuisance. There is some evidence that the severity of auto accidents increases and work productivity decreases as people adjust to the time change (so that explains my sluggishness!). Farmers especially have it difficult because it takes the rooster several weeks to make the adjustment...so of course COCKLE DOODLE DOO comes either an hour later or an hour early, depending on how you adjust your clocks for the season.

Once I get over this slump and my body adjusts to the change in weather as well as time, all will be fine.  My poor dog Aspen was mad at me this morning because I had to cut our walk short this morning because I overslept.  He gave me a hard time, and I practically had to drag him inside.  At least it will still be nice and sunny for our walk when I get home this evening.  Looking forward to longer days.

Aspen giving me the Boo Boo face to make me feel bad.

Comments

Popular Posts