It's not easy bein' green



Does anyone remember S & H Green Stamps? I can remember my mom collecting them in a little book when I was a little kid. They also had a huge catalog filled with tons of items where you could redeem your stamps. I'm sure that the groovy furniture in the above photo cost about a million stamps! The stamps were introduced in 30s and were finally done away with in 1989, but I really can't recall seeing them after the mid 70s..when I was still a kid. I think that their heyday was the 50s and 60s and interest in them began to wane afterwards. The Brady Bunch had an episode where the girls and boys were collecting stamps (although in the show the stamps were from the Checker Trading Stamp Company) and there was a competition between them that hinged upon a house of cards..a very tense scene! The girls wanted a sewing machine and the boys wanted a sailboat. They had to redeem them before a certain time because the company was going out of business. In the end they all come together to get the whole family something they all could enjoy....aaaah togetherness! I hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday season!



Top photo from Flickr user inmyjammiesintx
Bottom photo from Minneapolis MetBlog

Comments

joe said…
My grandmother had a whole drawer full of those. She kept saving them, and by the time she started getting around to use them, they weren't any good anymore... talk about bad timing.
SUZY8-TRACK said…
I think a lot of people saved them up and never used them. Not really recalling whether or not my parents got any items from their stamps...probably not.

Popular Posts