Holiday Movies


I recently saw one of my favorite holiday films, Shop Around the Corner starring Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan. The plot is simple: Two employees at a gift shop can barely stand one another, without realizing that they're falling in love through the post as each other's anonymous pen pal. It was re-made as You've Got Mail, but I think the original is far superior, plus you have to love Margaret Sullavan's wardrobe in the film. She wears tons of cute hats and of course a fabulous polka dot blouse.






Another favorite holiday film of mine is The Christmas List starring Mimi Rogers playing Melody Parris, a perfume saleslady who feels like her life is in neutral. Her stick-in-the mud boyfriend won't commit and she gets passed over for a promotion at the store where she works, even though she is the best salesperson they have. Her friend convinces her to write a Christmas list, and not hesitate to be greedy. She decides to make a Christmas list listing things such as a new job, new car and and old fashioned Christmas. She shows her list to her friend, and her friend grabs the list and deposits it into Santa's mailbox at the store. Not long afterwards, she starts getting everything she wanted from the list, but it doesn't always turn out as she expected. Very cute and lots of fun. It used to be on ABC Family every year, but I've been having a hard time catching it. Hopefully, one of these days it will be released on DVD. Thankfully I have an old VHS copy so I can watch it.





'Christmas Everyday' starring Eric von Detten, Robert Hays and Bess Armstrong is a lovely holiday film. Its similar to Groundhog Day, but with a Christmas theme. Billy Jackson, played by Eric von D, is not having a good Christmas. He got a basketball for Christmas and just cannot make a jump shot. His Uncle David is coming to town to open a Valu-Mall, which will put his Dad's store out of business. When he tells his little sister Sarah that there is no Santa she makes a wish that it would be Christmas every day. Billy now has to relive Christmas Day over and over again. I originally caught this movie back in 1998 when I was in school. It was December 23rd and I can remember I had finals earlier that day, so I had been studying like a fiend and didn't have time or money to go holiday shopping. I decided that I would stay up late and make food gifts for friends and family instead. It was about midnight when this movie came on, and I absolutely adored it. After watching the film, I realized that gifts were not the most important thing about Christmas, it was spending time with friends and family.

This wonderful movie is so hard to find on TV nowadays. It's not available on DVD and I don't believe ABC Family will be airing it this year *sadness*. But at least I have my old VHS copy from many years ago, to watch.

Comments

Popular Posts